Moving to Menorca - Any Advice??

JohnEmmaBurton
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Moving to Menorca - Any Advice??

Post by JohnEmmaBurton » April 25th, 2016, 10:59 am

Hi there,

My wife and I are moving to Menorca in September this year (from the UK) and we have a long list of things we are interested in finding out more about..

Have you any advice, recommendations or personal experiences regarding -- Solicitors, Gestorias, Estate Agents (both renting and purchasing), Spanish Tax returns, Private Medical, Doctors, Dentist, Second hand Car Sales and obtaining a NIE number.

There's probably lots of other things we need to get sorted to...

We will be initially living in Ciutadella but are very willing to travel once we get a car.

Any help offered would be gratefully received ! :grin:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving to Menorca - Any Advice??

Post by Slartibartfast » April 25th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Hi and welcome to MenorcaTalk. It can be difficult unless you have fluent Spanish and now Castilian is needed in most government offices. But if it fits living on Menorca is worth it.

Solicitors, Recommendations are normally best and there are quite a few mentioned in posts in the forum.

Gestorias, I'll leave this to those who know more, I've never used one.

Estate Agents (both renting and purchasing), My advice is, as I've posted many times is RENT first. So many have burned their boats and found for various reasons that Menorca is not for them. Holidaying and living on Menorca are at opposite ends of the scale.

Spanish Tax returns, You will need a decent accountant. be aware costs can differ alarmingly between them

Private Medical, Same as the UK

Doctors, Spanish Health service ones, are free [if you pay into the system] and are mostly excellent. If you will not be paying into the system then you will need medical insurance.

Dentist, All private.

Second hand Car Sales. You need proof of residency and proof that you are actually living there, proof of house ownership or rental agreement if renting. The seller normally does the paperwork because as a none Spanish you will get completely lost in it all :lol:

Obtaining a NIE number. Not 100% on this as friend of ours help with this for us. But I believe a Gestoria may be needed.

I have posted lots on this subject most still very relevant.

Go here => search.php

Enter Slartibartfast in "Search for author:" and choose "Moving to Menorca" in "Search in forums:"
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » April 25th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Hello and welcome!

I can recommend Fernando Caballero Visser (in Mahon) as a solicitor. We started using him a few years ago to do our tax returns (he charges 75 Euros each). But we've also received advise from him on other issues, such as wills and inheritance tax, and he didn't charge us a penny! He speaks fluent English, as does his secretary. His email address is info@clmabogados.com

We bought our property through Boninsanso, who were very good, and it all went quite smoothly. However, they put us on to our original solicitor Joaquin Comas (also in Mahon), who sorted out our NIE numbers etc. But, it was only after using him for a few years, that we discovered he was ripping us off with our tax forms every year (charging us about 700 Euros in fees)! :shock: He also said he would make sure all our direct debits (for bills) were set up correctly with the bank, but he missed some, so that was more hassle! So, stay well clear of him, and don't stick with the estate agent's chosen solicitor (unless they've been recommended).

As for buying a car, you could try one of the rental companies, such as Poppy Cars, as they're always renewing them and the best time to buy, I believe, is at the end of the season around October. Roger and Sue Evans of Poppy Cars can be contacted on enquiries@poppycars.co.uk

Good luck with everything!

Sue :partyman:

JohnEmmaBurton
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by JohnEmmaBurton » April 25th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Thank you both for your feedback - much appreciated.

After looking around the previous posts I'm wishing now that I had engaged my sense of humour a bit :oops: when choosing my username how very sensible of me... I will continue to look at the previous posts to see what else I can find.

Sue - thanks for your quick response I have emailed both already.

We're renting in Ciutadella for a year or so before we jump in and buy and are frequent visitors to BonninSanso's website.

Just thought of another question - We would both like to learn some Spanish does anyone know of a Language School or Teacher that they would recommend??

Thanks again :prayer:

ahornabrook
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by ahornabrook » April 25th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Sue
My parents had similar experience with Joaquin Comas, there tax bill was 182 euros but fees were well over 200, he is no longer in their employ>

ahornabrook
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by ahornabrook » April 25th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Each!!

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » April 25th, 2016, 6:53 pm

When we purchased our place the estate agent was Menorcasa who were very good & helped us sort out everything, lawyer, nie, bank account, they made us the appointments & took us to the various offices, so the whole process was very simple, as far as taxes I don't think there to bad,
ciaran wrote:my non residents tax last year was 158.00 per person ,total 316.00, fees & expenses 182.00 so total paid for me & wife was 498. 00, we also do not rent out our property, I also checked the bank today & 325.00 was taken out for our council tax, no warning letter or email, so always keep a little extra in your bank just in case. :smile:

:smile:
The next Moderator

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » April 25th, 2016, 7:38 pm

JohnEmmaBurton wrote: Just thought of another question - We would both like to learn some Spanish does anyone know of a Language School or Teacher that they would recommend??

Thanks again :prayer:
Ciutadella Ajuntament [town hall] will/should have Spanish classes [most other towns do] either free of for very little money.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

oldseadog
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by oldseadog » April 25th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Don't GO !
where will you go for your holidays, we all need them.

OSD :grin:
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » April 26th, 2016, 8:48 am

Cala en Porter and Alaior also do classes for very little money.