Buying a holiday home/future home

sunseeker75

Buying a holiday home/future home

Post by sunseeker75 » February 13th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Hi,
We wish to buy a one bedroom apartment on the island, we like Es Castell, any other areas you can suggest? Neither of us speaks Spanish as yet but if we move here permanently then we will take lessons. We have up to £80,000 cash. Is there a large English community all year round on Menorca? What is the cost of living for food? Is it difficult to buy a car? Can we buy a brand new car on the island as I'm not a fan of second hand! My partner will be late 50's when we move here permanently and retired, I will be mid 40's and would prob like a part-time summer job. Are jobs hard to find for maybe June, July & Aug for English people?
Does anyone know what the property market is like as in how cheeky you can be with a cash offer? Any other advice would be great. Also is it difficult to buy furniture as the few times we have been we didn't see anywhere or maybe we missed it?

SusieH

Re: Buying a holiday home/future home

Post by SusieH » February 13th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Oooh another Sunseeker :smile: One of the bosses has the same name :smile:

Anyway welcome to the site. If you read through the moving to menorca forum it will give you lots and lots of info about moving over and probably answer most of your questions, but our lovely members will also be on to no doubt give their input as they always do to help newbies.

:lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » February 14th, 2017, 10:52 am

Hi Sunseeker. We are just about to take the same big step as you - we have just had an offer accepted on a villa and hope to make the full-time move before Summer - so I know just how many questions are going through your head right now.

First of all you have to consider the obvious - living permanently and coming out on holiday are two completely different things. I have been to the islands ten or more times with my family - normally to Son Bou, but would I want to live there - no. The last thing I want is my neighbours changing every fortnight, one week a nice family, the next a bunch of teens - no thank you. So what suits for a holiday home - the very things that make it attractive for a holiday, may not make for a peaceful full-time life - but it depends on what you want. We have bought somewhere inland, close enough to Mahon for convenience but far enough away to avoid the madding crowds

Bear in mind that a good number of the tourism resorts are completely dead during the winter - is that what you want when you live out here permanently? The best thing to do is to visit as often as you can - and try to come out of season too to get an idea if a certain area is still for you.

Es Castell is one of the towns that is active all year so if you decide to find a place there you will find plenty to do out of season and will probably offer you the best balance between what you want from a property now - and what it needs to have should you decide to move out permanently.

Wherever you go, the island is relatively small, so nowhere is really that far from anywhere else.

Keep asking away - there are so many helpful people on this forum. The search box at the top right of the page is also a useful way to see if your query has been asked before.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » February 14th, 2017, 2:31 pm

I'll try and answer in the sequence that you ask.

You can get away without speaking much Spanish, but I always find it's worth making the effort with the basics. Try duolingo.com to get started.

£80k for a 1 bed is possible but you won't get much for that. What if you have family that want to visit, think about a 2 bed. Prices seem to have stabilised at the moment. I would always try putting in an offer at least 20% below any asking price to test the water, they can only say no.

Es castell has a large expat community and in my view is a great base for year round living. Stay clear of resorts.

In my opinion the cost of living is much cheaper, once you find the best places to shop and eat out. Stay away from the obvious tourist supermarkets, shops, bars, restaurants.

Used cars are hard to come by during the holiday session. Personally I'd never buy new, especially in Menorca as it will get beaten to death by rouge parkers. Try the hire car companies for a decent second hand car or have a drive around any of the industrial areas and you'll find some second hand car dealers. Used cars do seem to hold their price very well so dont be surprised if you pay more than you would in the uk.

If you don't speak the lingo 'well' you will struggle to find work, in my opinion. Also working in the heat of summer when the island population doubles will never be easy.

There are loads of furniture shops on most of the industrial areas (poligono), and there is an IKEA.

Living on the island during the months of Jan/Feb can be miserable, cold, dark and damp. If you are going to be living there full time then a property with decent heating system is a must. Remember there is no mains gas on the island so any heating system will be limited to oil fired, which won't work in a block of apartments, gas heaters via gas bottle (loads of condensation), air con units that blow hot air as well as cold (best option for an apartment), electric radiators. Even with all of that most building are very poorly insulated and your floors will be freezing cold with tiles.

Happy hunting!!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » February 14th, 2017, 9:55 pm

It all depends what you wan't you could get a 2 bed apartment in C & P for 80k, but as been said it is quiet out of season with not much open, however we like the holiday resort atmosphere when we are over in the summer, it's nice just to sit out & watch people go past. I could quite happily leave there for much of the year when the time is right for us. :smile:
The next Moderator

Marysal
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Marysal » February 14th, 2017, 10:11 pm

We bought in Sol Del Este Earhart last year which is only a give minute walk from Es Castell and even though we still live in London we have been there Winter Spring Autumn and Summer and there is always plenty to do even walk into Mahon which takes about 30 minutes less when I walk on my own. I do not know it there is apartments for your budget in Sol Del Este but there should be some in Es Castell happy hunting and I hope you find a place that you want as we did we love Menorca and cannot wait to be back for Easter. Try Emma Conquuest at Bonnin Sanso in Mahon she was so helpful to us when we were looking and helped us to find the property that best suited our requirements! Happy hunting!

the mad buyer
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by the mad buyer » February 15th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Good advice from everyone, especially regarding being in a working town which is busy all year round. January and February in particular can be extremely cold so heating is essentia, as others have said. There was a few apartments in Es castell recently within your price range. Ours certainly was. Happy hunting and good luck
Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have

peanutbrittle

Post by peanutbrittle » February 16th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » February 17th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Hi
Another thing to consider if moving to the island permanently is the healthcare system. I believe if you aren't working and are under state retirement age you will have to take our private medical cover. This explains a bit about the system, but who knows what will happen once Article 50 has been triggered :shock: :-

State healthcare is free of charge to anyone living and working in Spain, although in some of the Spanish islands you may have to travel to find a state healthcare provider.

As an expat, you are entitled to free state healthcare if you are:
resident in Spain and work in employment or self-employment and pay social security contributions,
resident in Spain and receiving certain state benefits,
resident in Spain and recently divorced or separated from a partner registered with social security,
a child resident in Spain,
a pregnant woman who is resident in Spain,
under 26 and studying in Spain,
a state pensioner, or
staying temporarily in Spain and have an EHIC card (see below).

If you don’t have the right to state healthcare you have to organise private health cover. If you have been registered on the padrón at your town hall for a year, the Spanish government has a state insurance scheme (convenio especial) with a basic monthly fee. This is administered by the authorities in each autonomous region.

Sue :partyman: