Schools around the island for 10 year olds- help please

florap

Schools around the island for 10 year olds- help please

Post by florap » August 16th, 2017, 11:07 am

Good morning
We are considering spending a period of 5-6 months in the beautiful Menorca next year, from February. I have sabbatical leave from my job as an Art and Pottery Teacher in London and my 10 year old twins can leave their current school early, before starting in another new school on September 18. My husband is internet based so can work from almost wherever with a bit of commuting.
We were looking to find a school that might be interested in taking our kids for a term- a fantastic experience for them and opportunity to pick up some language too. I was hoping to get involved in some art teaching possibly too.
I wondered if anyone on here might have any ideas where would be good to start looking or any contacts they could put me in touch with?
All very best
Flora

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Schools around the island for 10 year olds- help please

Post by Sunseaker » August 16th, 2017, 3:13 pm

The only thing I could suggest is for you to contact Bryce Lynons who is the chairman of Menorca/Britannia, he lives in Es Castell on the East coast and there are many members from all over the Island (including the UK) who volunteer in various schools helping the pupils to learn English, he may be able to help you, why not send him an e mail. :smile:
I only let him think he's in charge.

ortokj

Post by ortokj » October 24th, 2017, 11:21 am

Hi, we are looking at doing almost exactly the same thing but for just 3 months next year. Have you got anywhere with sorting school? Our daughter is 9 and we've been trying to find out more about whether we can enrol her in school for summer term next year, but the info available is either contradictory or vague...:( K

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » October 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

The person who originally started this post has not been back on the site since, all I can suggest is to contact Bryce Lyons of Menorca/Britannia who has dealing with the schools.
I only let him think he's in charge.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 25th, 2017, 1:20 pm

A little information from Elena Serra who is an English teacher in the primary school in Es Castell. Previously she was in charge of teacher training at the CEP, (center of education for professors in Mahon.

Elena helps out on most things relating to education that the Asociacion Menorca Britannia contribute to on Menorca.

The Asociacion Menorca Britannia have some 35 British volunteers who spend time in some of the primary schools helping the English language teachers with the children. Here most school children when they start school between 3.5 to 4 years have English as a compulsory subject.

Remember that the lessons are otherwise taught in Catalan and we find that by the age of 5/6 they are reasonably fluent in all three languages.

One concern is that unless your child is fluent in Spanish then it would be very difficult for her in just a few months to understand the lessons. But Elena has written the following reply to give you advice as to where to go to register etc.
Whether you would require Residencia would be advised when you visit the Delegación Territorial d, Educació.

In the first instance you should contact the Delegación Territorial d, Educació. Avinguda de Josep Mª Quadrado, 33, 07703 Maó, Illes Balears. 971 36 70 58. You should ask for the "escolarización" department. They will explain to you how to enrol your child in school.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)