Potential move - PLEASE HELP

Chick26

Potential move - PLEASE HELP

Post by Chick26 » April 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm

:grin: :grin: Hiya everyone! :cool:

PLEASE can anyone offer any advise re a move with children, does anyone know how the law works regarding income when moving to Menorca? Set minimum amounts etc? If this applies per head or adult and so on.. thank you in advance :toasting: anyone been lucky enough to make the move and find work AND successfully move children, pets etc etc :D

Please bare with me as there are a few avenues as I’m askin on behalf of my own family and family friends therefore wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer any advice about work that they may have in the following areas;

Admin
Childcare
HGV Driving
Hairdressing
Scaffolding
Newly qualified teacher

I know I mentioned a lot of fields and there’s probably not enough on the island for half of us but I thought I’d be optimistic and ask anyway!!

Throw in any uncertainties regarding brexit and you have a bit of a crazy idea.. but if we can’t dream then what’s the point!

I should also mention we have the option of renting our properties but would rely on some form of additional income.

Xx

SusieH

Re: Potential move - PLEASE HELP

Post by SusieH » April 19th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Hi Chick and welcome to the site.

I've moved your post into the 'Moving to Menorca' forum - if you have a read through this forum there are loads and loads of tips and help re moving to the lovely island. What isn't covered just ask and our lovely members will do their best to help you.

Susie :grin:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Chick26

Post by Chick26 » April 20th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Thank you Susie! Hoping to hear back from someone soon :grin:

SusieH

Post by SusieH » April 20th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Come on members, give her some help :grin: :grin:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » April 20th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Unless you are going to set up your own business in menorca (which is not easy) you will find it hard to find work (for 12 months of the year). If you do plan on setting up your own business you’ll need a good grasp of the lingo. There is no tax free allowance in Menorca, so every € you earn you pay tax on. If you plan on working within the industries you suggested, or any others, you will need a very good understanding of the lingo. Don’t want to put a downer on your plans/dreams, but you need to get real !! Unless you have something really unique to offer, life will not be easy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » April 21st, 2018, 8:33 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry I can't help as I am just a once in a while visitor to the island and don't know much about living there. But welcome anyway and I hope someone can give you some pointers.

Chick26

Post by Chick26 » April 21st, 2018, 7:51 pm

Thank you for your replies :grin:

Yes I totally get what you’re saying and I assumed that would be the case regarding year round work but thought no harm in asking especially given the amount of expats there I wondered if the services we could offer would work for the expat community initially until picking up the language! I have been learning and would hope to be FAIRLY competent at the time if/when we did come out.

I am currently setting up an online retail business so if it worked out a viable option to export/import from this could be a possibility but of course need to research laws etc. I wouldn’t assume we would have a tax free income anyway, but thanks for the heads up!

Whose out there currently or spends a lot of time over there, interested to know peoples story :smile: (nosy I know :cool: ) xx

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » April 22nd, 2018, 6:39 pm

An important point to consider from the tax point of view is that once you have been here for more than six months (in any 12 month period - and not continuously at that) you will be considered as a fiscal resident and your global income has to be declared and then will be subject to scrutiny by the local tax authorities. There are arrangements in place with HMRC to ensure that you are not taxed twice, but the Spanish authorities will want to check regardless.

As for work, I read a stat the other day that suggested 70% of employment is in the tourism sector and of that, as much as 40% of jobs are filled by seasonal workers from the mainland. There is little work unless you have the language and in-demand skills - even then wages are low. The old adage comes to mind ...... Menorca is a great place to live if you have the money, but it is almost impossible to make money here.

Chick26

Post by Chick26 » April 24th, 2018, 6:16 am

Thanks for that, that’s really interesting! I’d love to know what other people do - I read people’s posts who have young children and move over asking for advice on schools etc, unless work isn’t a necessity to live for them :shock: there’s a lot to think about, I knew there would be! And didn’t want nor expect it to come easy but will for sure continue to do my research! :smile: thank you