Living in Menorca

davefking
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Living in Menorca

Post by davefking » August 27th, 2018, 10:00 am

Anyone here live in Menorca full time? Something we are looking to do as our retirement arrives. We have so many questions, I'll probably bore you but one of the biggies, certainly for my wife, is worrying about areas that die during the out of season months. We have taken a particular fancy to the Santandria, Son Carrio, Cala Blanca area.
Another issue that would be of concern would be maintenance charges should we buy on a complex. How quickly do they rise or are they fixed
Any tips, advice, warnings on any topic of full time living here gratefully accepted.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Living in Menorca

Post by Slartibartfast » August 27th, 2018, 11:26 am

Hi Dave. Its a big step I know, we did it and don't regret it for one minute.
wife, is worrying about areas that die during the out of season months
You won't be far from Cuitadella so you won't be "Cut off from civilisation" in fact once you move out of "holiday mode" normally 12-18 months you may well look forward to the peace and quiet.
Another issue that would be of concern would be maintenance charges should we buy on a complex
Others will be able to answer this better than I, but as far as I know if you own on a community all costs regarding maintenance and repairs have to be voted on by the community. So you will have a say, but saying that you have to abide by the majority.

One bit of advice is: Don't burn your bridges before you are 1000% sure you have made the right move. We moved over to Menorca with no time frame in mind so we didn't sell up in the UK, we rented out our home instead, and rented long term in Menorca. After a couple of moves we ending up renting a 4 bed detached villa with ALL the mod cons and paid less rent per month than we received on our property back in the UK.

Also maybe something to note regarding your first question. Our first rental was in Es Castell as we had concerns much the same as you wife. But over the moves we moved further away ending up in Binisafulla. No amenities, no street lights, no public transport and loved every minute of living there.

Please ask us any questions you may have, I'm sure someone will be able to answer.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 27th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I would very strongly advise a visit during January/February so you get a feel for the place in the winter before you make any sort of commitment. It’s so much different to summer months and can be a real shock to the system if you’ve only been during the summer. It can be very, very cold and very damp.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

davefking
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by davefking » August 28th, 2018, 7:06 am

Thanks for that. We do intend to downsize in England with either a lock up and leave apartment in the UK to keep a foothold should things go belly up and also for the security of a UK address what with the uncertainty of Brexit. As for the weather. You been in England during January and February lately? I have been keeping a watch on the temps in Menorca over the out of season months and as a general rule it wins hands down.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 28th, 2018, 11:13 am

davefking wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:06 am
As for the weather. You been in England during January and February lately? I have been keeping a watch on the temps in Menorca over the out of season months and as a general rule it wins hands down.
That’s fine if you are living in the UK in a property that has been built for cold weather and has a good heating system. Typical menorca construction, even in some modern constructions, has no insulation built in and no central heating. Once the heat of the summer goes these buildings get cold and damp and stay that way. There is no mains gas here so you don’t have the luxury of gas fired heating system. You can get oil fired central heating here but there are restrictions on where they can be installed, mainly limited to rural properties. That leaves reverse air con systems which are expensive to run and not that efficient. Best option is a wood burning stove, but again there are limits on where it can be installed. I come from the North of Scotland and I can honestly say I have never felt cold like a Menorcan winter. You’re making the first fatal error if you think winter is going to be mild and warm and pleasant!!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » August 28th, 2018, 11:58 am

It is cold and it is very damp but if you keep this in mind when looking for a property its not that much of an issue. Holiday apartments in resorts were and are built for summer living and without a log burner will by very uncomfortable to live in all years round.

We managed quite well in some places with just a calor gas burner, but I wouldn't recommend it, its expensive and causes a lot of condensation. And despite what Suggie says I think Menorcan winters are far better than UK ones.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

davefking
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by davefking » September 2nd, 2018, 9:41 am

Fair comments about properties being built only for summer use and I wasn't aware of no mains gas I must admit, although reading into it, I read that the oil plant in Mahon is expected to convert to gas in the next 2 to 3 years. We do hope to buy a place that is built of all round use though and I have noted that some properties we have looked at have central heating and most seem to have log burners.These comments have been taken on board.

Other issues that could concern me:

Are there restrictions on drawing your pension out there and monies coming in from savings in the UK
And I seem to recall that there is something different about inheritance of the property for our children when we die.

Cheers

SusieH

Post by SusieH » September 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Don't know if this will help at all?

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain-expl ... -residents
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono: