HOW LUCKY I AM.

Life and times of the Menorcan Rose
ladyrose

HOW LUCKY I AM.

Post by ladyrose » February 5th, 2016, 12:33 pm

As I was out walking the dogs last night I started thinking about my life.

Realizing how lucky I am actually am.

I am not really sure just how much I have told you all about where I live.
So here goes.

My house is pretty big by modern standards.
5 Bed and baths.
A large country kitchen and a huge sitting room.
Remember it was built with the intentions of 3 children who were supposed to be living with us.
Well these days it is only myself and himself rambling about in it.

It is run completely on solar.( Except in Winter or bad days when it needs to be topped up by a generator)
Folks assume when you live in a solar run house that you do not have the normal things that other take for granted.
Well you could not be more wrong.
I have a washing machine,dishwasher,hoover, hairdryer,straightener, in fact anything you guys have so do I.
We have a state of the ark septic tanks, a well that supplies water to a holding tank.
We have internet 99% per cent of the time and a landline phone.

We have a large veg garden and I am very proud to say our whole package of 30 acres is totally organic.
We have not used any kind of pesticide in the 10 years since we moved in.
And before that it was unused for around 15 years.

We have an old antique oven that my hubby took apart and put back exactly as it was but better.
We eat a huge amount from our veg garden and fruit trees.

Fruit trees we have :rolleyes: oranges about 10 different varieties,limes,lemons,apples,pears,peaches,pomegranates,
plums,quince and that is only what I can think about at the moment. :rolleyes:
On the land you can pick wild garlic,onions,mint,myrtle, asparagus to name a few.

On the privacy aspect of my house in the house and surroundings it is 100% private.
It can not be seen from anywhere, so if anyone decided to go with nature and disrobe no one would ever know.

The wild life is truly incredible.

In particular the birds.
We have 2 nesting pairs of buzzards that are here year after year.
We have the blue thrush( I think it is called)
Someone really needs to come and catalogue all of them there are sooo many.

Tortoises that are so numerous in numbers that they are almost like a plague :lol:
Incredible owls small scopps, to huge barn owls.
Pine martins that come to steal the figs from our trees.
Hedgehogs that vary hugely to the Uk ones (there legs are much longer)

But most of all are the evenings.

Where our house is positioned it has NO!!!!! light pollution.
Which means the STARS OH!!! THE STARS are just incredible.
From shooting stars to meteors I have seen them all.
When we get a thunder storm I can honestly say it would knock your soxs off as it lights up the sky.
On the top of the mountain in front every evening we have a visit from the wild goats just as the sun goes down.

Blimey I have just realised how much I am waffling on today.
I think it must be because I have had a moment of clarity and see just how lucky we REALLY are.
This is "MY MENORCA"

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: HOW LUCKY I AM.

Post by watta » February 5th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Excellent Rose and yes you, Tony and the family are lucky with your 'castle'. :finga:

Alan
:cool:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » February 5th, 2016, 3:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You forgot to add ...

You are not on any maps, not even Google maps :lol:

If you invite anyone new round for lunch/dinner you have to meet them in the land time did not forget and show them the way down :lol:

A 4X4 , helicopter or use of abseiling equipment is the preferred way to get to yours :lol:

You live in a protected area which means that you are open to blackmail ... Cross my palm with silver and I won't tell G.O.B about that extremely rare Orchid that grows only on your land :lol:

In the winter you wake up every morning to a hard frost while the rest of Spain basks in warm sunshine :lol:

But its still a great place to while away the day ...
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » February 5th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Rose, You are the luckiest! :grin: :grin:

I would like to catalogue your wildlife (especially the birds!) but I doubt if I could find your "castle"

Dave

SusieH

Post by SusieH » February 5th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Sounds amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

But .... you forgot to tell us what animals YOU HAVE ... cos I know there are .... umm a few :lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » February 6th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Well I am very lean at the moment with animals.
4 dogs.
2 Springer Spaniels and 2 German Shepards.
1 cat that is a bit wild.
Chickens ducks and geese all gone at the moment due to the fact that one Springer Spaniel and one young German Shepard think they are toys to play with a gave some of them hear attacks.
So for the moment it is rather quiet around my house.

As far as being away from civilization we are 3klms from Cala en Porter 2 from San Climent and 5 from Alaior.
I can drive from my front door to the airport in 15 mins. :susies: :susies: :lol:

The Voice
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by The Voice » February 6th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Sitting here with Man Flu it is lovely to read how appreciative you are of your way of life.

We are fortunate in that we have about 10 acres in the wilds of Essex and have horses, little owls to Barn owls swooping around, migrating Geese flying overhead and even wild peacocks . But what we also have is all the stress that being in the UK brings with it.

Which is why our sanity check is our little apartment down in Santo Tomas where we can relax and enjoy the beauty of the jewel in the Mediterranean Sea along with the people that live there.

You are indeed very lucky.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » February 6th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Oh man, I'm well jell, it sounds like paradise! :mrgreen:

But to be honest, a massive house and all that land sounds like a lot of hard work! In theory, I love the thought of having fruit trees and a veg patch, but in reality I don't know whether I'd be that dedicated (especially in the summer)! :lol: But I suppose fruit trees just do their own thing naturally, and a few tomatoes/peppers etc. shouldn't be too difficult to maintain, if we eventually decided to buy a little villa with a small garden.

But I'd definitely spend a lot of time photographing the wildlife, and I might even take up painting again. And I'd love the star-gazing at night! We have a telescope in our apartment, and don't really get an ideal view from the balcony, but your place sounds perfect!

Lucky you! The rest of us can just dream!

Sue :toasting:

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » February 7th, 2016, 11:15 am

It is funny Sue when I first came to the island I used to paint.
In fact I remember Denise and I painted up on the hill for my last effort quite some time ago. :lol:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » February 7th, 2016, 7:50 pm

You need to get your easel back out Rose! :grin: I would imagine it must be the perfect place for artistic inspiration!

I can just see myself in a few years, when we've retired, enjoying a little dabble with the watercolours while the other half bores himself rigid fishing! :lol: