A tip for parents!

Help info and advice for that perfect family holiday
carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

A tip for parents!

Post by carben » September 23rd, 2012, 6:41 pm

I have worked as a nursery nurse for 37 years and I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to over protecting children from getting bugs/illnesses etc. I think they need to build up immunity to illnesses but you can do without them being ill while you are on your holidays.
If you are going to use high chairs for babies, which are often available in hotel dining rooms, please, please wipe them down first.Use anti-bacterial wipes or sprays especially on the trays.
We stayed in Arenal d'en Castell, the highchairs got a quick wipe down with a slightly damp cloth by the waiters in between use, the cloth was not rinsed before they wiped the next chair. I saw parents putting food directly onto the trays for the babies to help themselves from.
A child vomited all over his baby brother who was sat in a high chair :vom: . The chair was taken away into the kitchen but returned within 2 minutes, I felt that the whole of the seat, back, sides and tray could not have been thoughly cleaned in that time.
I felt that the chance of cross infection could be quite high and if it was me, I certainly would try to ensure my kids stayed healthy while we were on holiday. I only saw 1 mum in 2 weeks cleaning the chair before use.
Happy Holidays!! :lol:

ladyrose

Re: A tip for parents!

Post by ladyrose » September 24th, 2012, 7:47 am

:vom: :vom: :vom:
I agree but does that make me over the top too?

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » September 24th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Joining the :vom: queue!
Totally agree with you both and no, Lady Rose, definitely not over the top! My daughter always carries antiseptic wipes and hand wash for her daughter's use- why invite the bugs?! And Grandma uses them especially after using supermarket trolleys....OTT, moi?!

Trevx

victoriah

Post by victoriah » September 24th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I have packed some Milton wipes for the very same reason, i'm not over the top on many things but dirty high chairs are my pet hate :vom: ....i see people looking at me when i'm frantically wiping them down before my little boy sits in it thinking i'm deranged! :roll:

carben - all tips welcome, need all the help i can get to make a stress free holiday :grin: :jozza:

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » September 24th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Well heres another one. Not mentioning any brand names but those little sit on and ride suitcases for children, you know which I mean! A waste of time, more to carry (Dads please note coz it's going to be you who has to carry them on to the plane, alongside all the other bags and while trying to put the buggy down before embarkation!)I have only every seen 1 child sitting on it and when the parent pulled the case forward, the child fell off the back :lol: :lol: Sorry to laugh but it's the same priciple as a child on a sledge who falls backwards onto the snow.
A little rucksack or pump bag is more than enough!