Is 2010 going to be quieter than 2009?

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
JKC36
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Re: Is 2010 going to be quieter than 2009?

Post by JKC36 » March 18th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Jill

a1424
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by a1424 » March 18th, 2010, 1:09 pm

From my own view we went for the first time to menorca,and fell in love with it.I had always liked the algarve, but we thought that we would try somewhere else for a change.and with having two small kids it ticked all the boxes.

I remember when we got to menorca i said to my wife,i wish we had come even before we had the kids.because in my mind it was perfect for couples off all ages to.

when we booked flights last year fron Glasgow,we had no problem getting flights,and even there was still flights on the go up till the last minute.but this year it was really hard to get a decent flight at a good price from thomson or thomas cook.so in the end we booked with jet2 from Edinburgh.

I do remember seeing adverts on the tv,for thomas cook doing deals to majorca,menorca.for 14nights for the price of 11 nights. so i would asume that deals where snapped up.hence the reason why i found hard to get a flight from Glasgow.

so maybe it will be busy this year.

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 18th, 2010, 2:08 pm

I saw an offer a few weeks ago for £179pp for a week in Menorca :shock:

From Glasgow there are three flights, two by Thomas Cook and one by ThomsonFly, but the latter isn't selling flights only through it's site this year, which will have pushed the price of independant flights up as they are selling them through the Thomas Cook site.

I think it's one less flight than in 2009 and it's certainly a lot less than in 2008 when five airlines flew the route.

Dan :cool:
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Trevor
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Trevor » March 21st, 2010, 10:08 pm

Hi All,
I asked this question last year and nothing has changed much.The people seem to keep going but I think that they do not eat out all the time.
We have been visiting the island for the past 10 years and always take self catering accomodation for the flexibility it offers.In pratice we only cook toast and then go out.
In the last couple of years we have had to consider cooking indoors etc but never end up doing it.
It does seem expensive now but that is partly due to the Euro rate and not the fault of the local people as they lose out if we do not spend.
Trevor

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 21st, 2010, 10:18 pm

The Euro has been a double edged sword really for the South West region where I live. Yes it's made going away a lot more expensive, but the number of foreign tourists visiting the region was the highest ever last summer. It's expected to be the same again this year, with direct flights to Newquay from Dusseldorf and Zurich, plus thousands travelling overland.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by JanSchofield » March 21st, 2010, 11:32 pm

I visited Cornwall with my dad last year and listened to a local radio programme which was more or less saying that they found the tourists impossible and wish they would stay at home. They were accused of ruining their countryside, blocking their roads, and over populating their favourite places............I don't feel at all welcome to go back again... :sad:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

hendy11
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by hendy11 » March 23rd, 2010, 1:07 pm

im going to calan bosch in the last week of may and it will be my 6th time there at that time of year, last year was really quiet, the hotel was half empty and the restaurants as well were really quiet, im hoping it will be busier this year but im not too sure it will be

hartlepool mick
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hartlepool mick » March 23rd, 2010, 11:25 pm

calan forcat for me n family last week in july for two weeks

jonandsally
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by jonandsally » March 24th, 2010, 5:02 pm

We will be in Son Parc for the whole of August.twelfth year going to Menorca,sixth summer in Son Parc.i must say it does seem to be more devoid of British tourists every year and the island has got very expensive 4 euros a pint-more than London! because we are there so long we cook in the apartment a lot which is ok.Will definitely be having a meal in the excellent Cobblers restaurant in Alaoir-hope it's still there! Also every year the "strip"in Son Parc gets quieter -wonder what it'll be like this year.

thetaz
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by thetaz » March 24th, 2010, 5:13 pm

every year the "strip"in Son Parc gets quieter -wonder what it'll be like this year.
I remeber when The Strip used to be so vibrant. It took us two years to discover there was a whole level above the restuarants on the street, which used to be full of kids playing on climbing frames and bouncing castles whilst parents ate and drank in the bars and restaurants. Now at times its like a ghost town. It is such a shame.

We used to love going to Porches when Manuel used to manage it, and it is was such good value!

Not many places you say that about now.