Is 2010 going to be quieter than 2009?

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is 2010 going to be quieter than 2009?

Post by Slartibartfast » March 24th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I went to a meeting last night with the political head and civil head of tourism. They tried to explain what they were doing to promote the island, the geographic areas, and the demographics they were aiming at. I don't have the time just now, but hopefully before the weekend I'll let you know what went off.

All I'll say for now is that they are throwing loads-o-money around, quite a chunk will score a direct hit in the 'Round filing cabinet' :???:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

TADS
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by TADS » March 24th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Whilst we love Menorca and everything it has to offer, it never ceases to amaze me how foolish they can be. One example of this :- last May / June, any visitor to Fornells had to navigate the roads within the town being re-surfaced and the block paving outside the shops being upgraded, with all the disruption and noise that caused, when the council had all winter to sort out high footfall tourist areas such as these. I am sure that the traders will have lost a fair bit of income unnecessarily.
This is just one example of many that I am sure puts off a lot of Brits from returning!............ But not us, back as usual in June and hopefully the autumn as well.
Last edited by TADS on March 27th, 2010, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a rehearsal...................

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » March 25th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I am an old user of this forum, but moved house with new e-mail address, so I re-registered.

We are going back this July for our 7th year in a row! Normally stay on the North Coast, but have booked a villa near San Climente this year, planning to book a car with Poppy Cars who we have used in the past too.

I wouldnt be sane without my yearly dose of Menorca.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » March 25th, 2010, 10:54 pm

Well welcome back :lol: :lol: were you the same name before?
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » March 26th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Thanks Susie H. I was Jillhodgson before and managed to make it to 3 star supporter level, but I havent posted for over a year and had forgotten my password! (bit thick you see! :grin:

Having moved house and new e-mail address and all that, I thought it would be much easier to register as a new user.

It's nice to be back

Jill

SusieH

Post by SusieH » March 26th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Ahhhh I remember :lol: :lol: well welcome back again :lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by JanSchofield » March 26th, 2010, 7:18 pm

welcome back Jill. :razz:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

Bonsai
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Bonsai » March 26th, 2010, 10:45 pm

well just to add my tuppence worth when we booked for our hols this year we had a hell of a job finding somewhere that wasnt pre booked, seems like its going to be a busy year plus car hire wow no ones got what were after, just hoping poppy cars will be our saviours or its buses again and i dont fancy that even though the bus service as i remember it is very good.

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 28th, 2010, 5:05 pm

JanSchofield wrote:I visited Cornwall with my dad last year and listened to a local radio programme which was more or less saying that they found the tourists impossible and wish they would stay at home. They were accused of ruining their countryside, blocking their roads, and over populating their favourite places............I don't feel at all welcome to go back again... :sad:
The Cornish can be a funny old lot Jan. :lol: I know where they are coming from though - everybody who visits the region uses our facilities and it's us who live here who then have to pay for them. Contrary to popular belief, living in Cornwall isn't all fun and it's in fact a really poor area, so paying the highest water bills in the country to make the beaches clean for tourists isn't an argument which washes very well unless you are directly employed by the sector. Tourism is a big contributor to the local economy - 25% in Cornwall and 10% or so in Devon, but conversely some 50%+ of the usage of beaches, roads, etc... is by visitors. There's a continuing slide from serviced to unserviced accommodation which means fewer people are employed by Tourism anyway, whilst the visitor number also have a detrimental affect on other sectors by making them less productive during the summer season. Much like Menorca, when you have four times the amount of traffic on the roads, everything slows down.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

firefox834

Post by firefox834 » March 29th, 2010, 10:51 am

I booked and paid for my holiday last July...not long after I got back from the Hotel Cala N Bosch. Friends wanted to go with us and they tried early March for the same dates but the hotel is fully booked...seems to be the hotels that offer fully inclusive are doing ok, if you book self catering then add on all your food and drink costs it works out way too expensive.