Quiet Beach - July/August?

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
nicjw
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Quiet Beach - July/August?

Post by nicjw » June 24th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Is there such a thing?

We are off to Menorca again for the first 2 weeks of the school summer holiday, staying in Son Bou this time. Hire car arranged for 9 days of our stay. In previous years we have driven around the island for days out to other beaches and resorts, main resorts though, and found the beaches to be pretty busy. We've considered going to the more well known remote beaches such as Turqueta, Macarella, etc, but never done so as expect them to be really busy too. Just wondering if there are any beaches, that are easy to get to (ie, decent road and not a long walk from car park - 2 kids to drag along!) that would be quiet even during peak times. Any ideas?

ladyrose

Re: Quiet Beach - July/August?

Post by ladyrose » June 24th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Turqueta and Macarella ETC get closed in high season as soon as the car parks are full :roll:
But there are electric signs when you leave Cuitadella and start heading in that direction.
So at least you are PRE warned.
Really quiet beaches here in high season are very few and most of them only really accessible by boat.
Maybe someone else can come up with something better.

4bees
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by 4bees » June 24th, 2010, 4:31 pm

we go to es grau at least once when we are on the island,
wonderful place ,and great for the kids,enjoy :finga:

nicjw
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by nicjw » June 24th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Thanks for that. We noticed the car park signs when driving around. I told a lie in my last post - just remembered that me and my son walked to Macarella last year from Cala Galdana one morning at 8 am and to be honest we were a bit disappointed when we got there. We only saw 2 other people there though at that time in the morning so nice and peaceful! It just wasn't the spectacular sight I expected when we got there and my son said 'Is that it?' I would have liked to go on to Macaraletta (sp?) but son was done in!

Anyway...beaches like Turqueta and Mitjana - as the car parks close when full - are they really busy still? Would you say as busy as Cala Galdana in August? When we in CG we resorted to going to the beach at 8.30 in the morning to avoid the crowds - still loved the place though, would just prefer the beach a bit quieter.

Just spotted your post 4bees - I've been looking at Es Grau as a place to visit as not been yet so will definately consider it when we go.

Any more suggestions would be great :grin:

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by JanSchofield » June 24th, 2010, 5:19 pm

We drove to CG one day, turned left at the roundabout and parked at the carpark just along the road, There is a style in the corner and a path which leads to Mitjana. Nice 15 min walk. the beach wasn't that busy either when we were there, and was really nice.
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » June 24th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Binimel-la and Pregonda on the North Coast were quiet when we visited in July last year. Es Grau is lovely if you walk around to the "island" at the end of the main beach.

Funny though, we always go to Son Bou and walk 15 minutes up from the car park to find our "quiet beach". Loads of space to spread out away from the hotels. Heaven.

Sa Mesquida is nice too, popular with the Spanish but never busy.

3 weeks and 1 dayto go. :ele:

sooboo
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by sooboo » June 24th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Mesquida is beautiful and was really quiet when we went. There is a great little ice cream van that is always there too! Thats about it for facilities. I too was dissapointed with macarella, there were so many cigarettte stumps on the sand....I found that to be really sad. Mitjana is beautiful though, as is turqueta. WE hired a small motor boat from galdana and that was excellent to get to secluded beaches. Well worth it!
Susan

Cala n Bosch Hotel 27th August-3rd September

nicjw
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by nicjw » June 24th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Where is Mesquida?

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » June 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm

http://www.menorca-net.co.uk/menorca/beach.php

Try Agaiarens - La Vall on the north coast at Ciutadella, or Cavalleria http://www.menorca-net.co.uk/walking/Wa ... lleria.php or Binimel-La and Cala_Pregondahttp://www.menorca-net.co.uk/walking/Binimel-L ... egonda.php

Mid week is the best time as on a weekend locals head for quieter beaches.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » June 25th, 2010, 6:17 am

Sa Mesquida is just up the coast from Mahon. There is loads of parking, but the walk back up the hill to your car is quite steep. We've seen red kites there and several tortoises crossing the road on the way.

The ice cream van that visits at lunch time sells drinks and sandwiches too. The beach is spacious and clean and there is a lifeguard.