Name the beetle

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Name the beetle

Post by SonBouSymey » June 27th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Anybody?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: Name the beetle

Post by Dandelion » June 28th, 2014, 7:28 am

The only thing I can say with any certainty is it's not John, Paul, George or Ringo :lol: Where did you see it? I just looked in my insect book and had a quick google and I can't see anything that resembles this. Think you may have discovered a new species! I'll be interested to see if anyone knows what it is, good luck :smile:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » June 28th, 2014, 8:33 am

Dandelion wrote:The only thing I can say with any certainty is it's not John, Paul, George or Ringo :lol: Where did you see it? I just looked in my insect book and had a quick google and I can't see anything that resembles this. Think you may have discovered a new species! I'll be interested to see if anyone knows what it is, good luck :smile:
Hence the question. Dandelion. I cannot find anything like it on the 'net'. Is is the second one we have had. This one was smaller, about 1". The first was twice this size but without those unusual horns. They can only be described as big 'mofos'. They seem attracted to the villa balcony lights in the evening and 'drop' out of nowhere much to the delight of my daughter's boyfriend who runs a mile. They can fly and make a really weird buzzing noise.

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » June 28th, 2014, 10:58 am

Seriously - what is that???

Google has never let me down, I've managed to identify all sorts of Menorcan bugs over the last few years, but that has me stumped. Like Dandelion says, you've discovered a new species.

:ele: :barmy:

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » June 28th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Sorry SonBouSymey - now if it was a bird, I might have a chance. Looks quite impressive though. Could be they were male & female beetles, thats why there was a size difference (like our stag beetles).

Dave

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » June 28th, 2014, 2:25 pm

While I was writing previous post - My grandson googled this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphylla_fullo

Commonly known as the Pine Chafer - could this be the one?!

Dave

sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by sunnysideup » June 28th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Yes I have to agree, I think it's a Polyphylla Fullo that you are seeing both the adult and young.
It might pay you to speak to this chap as I know he did a survey on Menorca wee beasties etc, he will tell you if the are rare to the Island
www.honeyguide.co.uk

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » June 28th, 2014, 5:39 pm

davethebirder wrote:While I was writing previous post - My grandson googled this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphylla_fullo

Commonly known as the Pine Chafer - could this be the one?!

Dave
Well done. Case solved. Looks like the malein the picture. The female was much larger. Seems like the adults like to feed on pine which makes sense as these beasties have been landing on the boy from a great height and frightening the **it out of him. We have a massive pine in the front of the villa overlooking the spot where all the fun has been happening.

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » June 28th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Hooray, well done Dave's grandson! :finga: I've got that beetle imprinted on my brain now, I'll be looking out for them next time we're in Menorca!
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS