Emergencies

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Stresshead

Emergencies

Post by Stresshead » February 12th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Hi everyone,
Had a perfect holiday last year in Punta Prima. I suffer quite badly with anxiety and I was really stressed out as we were taking our then nearly 2 yr old. I managed to convince myself before we travelled that because it was an island that there wouldn't be good medical facilities etc. Don't be offended by this, anxious minds do not think rationally!
Anyway. Hubby wants to rebook and I'd happily revisit as it was one of the best weeks of my life but I'm having the same worries coming back.
For example, our hotel was right by a doctor in Punta Prima but are there other facilities around? Also, if I called an ambulance how quickly would it get there? Are there ambulance bases in the St Lluis region?
Thanks in advance for any reassurance.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emergencies

Post by Slartibartfast » February 13th, 2015, 12:29 am

Hi and welcome to MenorcaTalk.

I won't say don't worry because I've found out it makes no difference [other half] :lol:

The medical facility on Menorca are very good. The doctor at the hotel will be a private one so make sure your insurance covers you. There is an excellent medical centre in Sant lluis ==> click for Location map on this map just across the road from Llibreria Es Pas on Carrer Pere Tuduri. Take your E111 or what ever they call it these days, they speak good English so no problems there.

The ambulance will come from the new hospital in Mahon, but its only a few minutes away. The hospital also has aa A&E dept, plus there is an emergency doctors in Mahon ==> click for Location map just behind Cafe Modern, on Carrer Fornells on the map.

Relax, take deep breaths :yawinkle: and enjoy you holiday :toasting:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » February 13th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Hi, welcome and don't apologise for your need for reassurance. :smile:

Many forum members have posted good reports after using the medical services on the island.

From personal experience, the medical treatment on the island is very good; both OH and I have needed to use medical centres (recent years) and the Mao hospital (over 40 years ago) and found the treatment we received better than in the UK. There are medical centres in the towns across the island and good hospitals in both Mao and Ciutadella.

Remember also, it's a small island, so you're never very far from any of these facilities. I'd hazard a guess that the distances emergency services have to travel and the times taken couldn't be worse than those seen in the UK!

As Slarti says, just make sure your travel insurance offers good medical care cover and that your individual EHICs (the name for the old E111!) are up to date and don't worry. EHICs are free and can be applied for on-line, see:
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare ... -ehic.aspx

Try to allay your anxieties by knowing you are fully prepared. I echo Slarti again, breathe deeply, enjoy planning your holiday and relax when you get there. :grin:

trevx

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » February 13th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the site.

Totally agree with trevx and Slarti - ditto. The services are excellent in comparison to here on the UK. Have had experience with my daughter a number of years ago on the Island at both a local Doctors and hospital.

Take care and relax and enjoy. :finga:

Alan
:cool:
:blue: :blue: :blue: :partyman: :partyman: :dream:

:cool: :smile: :yawinkle:

Jack Regan
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Jack Regan » February 14th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Some years back we were staying in Cala Alcafaur. One morning we looked out to see what looked like most of the policia local and the guardia cival troop down onto the beach. It appeared that the previous evening a chap suffering from some kind of debilitating illness had gone out for a walk on the scrubbly headland and not returned.

By afternoon he'd still not been found and a helicopter from Majorca was brought in, did find him and flew him off to hospital.

I suppose the point I'm making is that in extreme circumstances you can be lifted off the island but, since helicopters don't come cheap, and the public service one involved here may not be available, I'd buy some travel insurance.

Jack

sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by sunnysideup » February 14th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum

Never be ashamed to ask anything on here about the Island, most members are really nice people, and will always try a point you in the right direction.
I can (unfortunately) whole heartedly tell you that the hospitals and emergency services are second to none on Menorca, as my Father was taken ill twice in our visits to the Island. The doctor was called and turned up approx 5mins later, and decided that Dad needed hospital treatment, he called the ambulance that turned up within 10mins. We were met at reception at the hospital by the welfare officer who spoke perfect English, and was sorted out within minutes, she handled all the paperwork and spoke to the insurance company throughout Dad's admittance.
Just remember to take a good insurance with you and declare any conditions that any of your party may have. A bit of advise on travel insurance, don't always go for the cheapest on the internet as they are not always the best companies for overseas assistance. When you read the terms of contract look at who supplies the assistance, good agents are One Assist, Ageas, Cega, and Saga.
I hope this helps, and although anxiety is terrible please don't let it put you off taking well earned holidays

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » February 18th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Several years ago, on Son Bou beach, my 8 year old son stabbed through his foot with the spike of a beach umbrella. We drove him straight to the A&E dept at the fabulous hospital on the outskirts of Mahon and he was treated immediately, with staff who spoke more than enough English. The whole experience was over within an hour and was far more efficient and friendly than back here in England. I find facilities of all kinds on Menorca to be far superior to those in the little rural backwater I live in, in East Anglia.

Another thing to consider is that most of the larger, resort beaches have life guards, fully trained in first aid ,who are on duty most of the day. When I had a panic attack on Sa Mesquida beach they were amazingly helpful and reassuring.

Just make sure you take your EHIC card with you, enabling you to have free hospital treatment at the public hospital.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » February 18th, 2015, 1:40 pm

hodghegs wrote:
Just make sure you take your EHIC card with you, enabling you to have free hospital treatment at the *public hospital*.
All doctors found in the resorts will be private AND will charge for their services. If you can get into your nearest town [Sant Lluis, Es Castell, Mahon, Alaior, Es Mercadal, Es Migjorn, and Ciutadella] They will have public health service doctors/health centres which you can use for free with your EHIC card.

Stresshead

Post by Stresshead » February 21st, 2015, 11:20 pm

Thanks all for your reassurances.
Just got to get over the fact that the holiday is costing the same for a 2 year old as a 36 year old!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » February 22nd, 2015, 12:25 pm

You are very welcome. The cost ... Just think of the enjoyment you'll get, wishing you get away with having ice cream down your front, having a mouth full of sand on the beach and being able to get away with sticking your finger in all the food on offer at mealtimes :lol: :lol: :lol: