Processionary caterpillars in Cala Galdana

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
nottoobad
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Processionary caterpillars in Cala Galdana

Post by nottoobad » March 8th, 2017, 9:09 am

WP_20170302_14_19_54_Pro.jpg
Saw these little blighters there last week, at one of the viewing points, up the hill on the way out, right at the roundabout....also picked up this info

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain_expl ... s-in-spain

Apparently a 10 foot long procession was found in a garden in Aussie.......oo 'eck.......my chum saw that one had left the procession and carefully placed it back in.......I am waiting for his hand to drop off....... :shock: :shock:

This was last Thursday, absolutely stunning day in CG, picnic and bubbles on the beach, coffee in the hotel by the car park.....can't remember the name..........weather gorgeous...beach empty....... :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Processionary caterpillars in Cala Galdana

Post by davethebirder » March 8th, 2017, 9:34 am

Very interesting - was not aware of these caterpillars - sounds dangerous. Could the "powers that be" consider moving this topic to the "General Help" forum, as it may get wider coverage.

Dave

Lizc
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Lizc » March 8th, 2017, 10:01 am

:shock: take care peeps

raquel
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by raquel » March 8th, 2017, 10:30 am

:shock: I didn't realise these were dangerous - what happens if we touch them then?

dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by dream.island » March 8th, 2017, 10:42 am

These caterpillars are horrible.

My sister fights a losing battle with them on the mainland. If they bite animals it can cause death. They nest in horrible cocoons particularly in pine trees before they appear on the ground. The advice to mainlanders is to try and spray the nests before they erupt out ... Once they are on the move it is too late for thst season.

Be very careful near them....human or animal.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 8th, 2017, 12:51 pm

davethebirder wrote:Could the "powers that be" consider moving this topic to the "General Help" forum, as it may get wider coverage.

Dave
Done.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » March 8th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Thanks Slarti.

Dave

sanjaime
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by sanjaime » March 8th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Interestingly we had a visit here in Surrey from a couple of Forestry Commission guys a few weeks ago. They were checking all the oak trees in our area for Processionary Caterpillars. These have been accidentally introduced into UK from southern Europe.

They should be reported if seen in England.

I said we had seen similar processionary caterpillars in Menorca and our gardener had removed nests from pine trees near our pool. They were surprised to hear that the gardener did not seemed to worry about the health hazard.

The caterpillars have tiny hairs which can cause skin and eye irritations and sore throats and breathing difficulties in people and animals who come into contact with them. The nests should be avoided because they can contain thousands of shed hairs.

See https://forestry.gov.uk/opm and https://forestry.gov.uk/pineprocessionarymoth

You need to be very careful and try not to be in contact with these caterpillars.

SJ

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » March 8th, 2017, 3:56 pm

I have heard/read that one way of dealing with the nest is to spray it with hairspray (to contain the hairs) and then burn them. Personally I can see problems with setting fire to a nest in a tree - not least the risk of fire spreading, particularly when an accelerant such as hair spray is involved.

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » March 8th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Those who have been going to Menorca for some time will remember 10 or 20 years ago when there were loads of rectangular black and white plastic bags suspended from trees. From what I remember, these were pheromone traps for the moths of the caterpillars, as there had been infestations in the preceding years. I recall one year in May or June when you could hardly walk on the paths near Es Migjorn for fear of encountering the little b******** suspended on threads from the trees. They even carpeted the beach at Binigaus. (I may be corrected on the identity of these caterpillars - I am very much a FORMER biologist!)

Bill