Not such a friendly welcome this year!

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Not such a friendly welcome this year!

Post by Annie41 » August 6th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the responses - it is interesting to consider all the possibilities. Thank you Jimmyhorse for qualifying that you are sure I am not like that haha! Maybe what I picked up on this summer is part of a growing trend across Europe and I see there have been some quite scary incidents over the last couple of days in mainland Spain and Majorca. Also a friend of mine lives in the Galicia region of Spain and has posted some horrible examples of anti tourist graffiti daubed across beautiful historic buildings. My sister has lived in the Murcia region of Spain for decades now and they have sensed a real change in local attitudes.

I would like to think I wouldn't let all this put me off but I was seriously considering a week on my own here in a couple of weeks and now I am not so sure. Menorca had always been the place I felt at home, that I could travel to alone as well but I have to do some hard thinking....

The Pomada was great though!

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » August 6th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Hear is 'food for thought'. Is it not as some have said on here and that media, problems with the horrible events that happened in Turkey and Egypt, that has led to a 50% increase to tourists accessing the Spanish mainland and the Balearics. Also there is a small minority of people who really shouldn't be allowed to travel to the aforementioned. I am pretty easy going, and this is only a thought I had, as I have always found the Menorcans to be extremely pleasant, polite and great towards the youngsters.

Alan.
:cool:
:blue: :blue: :blue: :partyman: :partyman: :dream:

:cool: :smile: :yawinkle:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » August 6th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Error/
Last edited by watta on August 6th, 2017, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:blue: :blue: :blue: :partyman: :partyman: :dream:

:cool: :smile: :yawinkle:

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » August 6th, 2017, 8:44 pm

So possibly that the nature of the type of tourist has changed since events over the last couple of years? Yes I think that has happened and if my flights were anything to go by I would agree with that. Not from a snobbish viewpoint, but that people are visiting the island instead of their usual destinations and expecting a different sort of holiday altogether. I still think that it would be a shame if local businesses thought the worst of tourists as a default position.

talbotvanman
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by talbotvanman » June 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm

In Binibequer and Mahon I have always been amazed at how waiters and shopkeepers remember us
from visiting the previous year. The greeting is genuine I feel and I hope it doesnt change. :???:

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » June 27th, 2018, 11:36 am

Updating my post last year, we have just come back from a short visit and head off again soon. This time the welcome was great. I wonder if last year was just too busy and everyone living and working on the island was a bit jaded?

Costs this year for eating and drinking out have soared! We spent twice as much as expected... When we head back we will have to keep a really tight reign on the budget. However it might just be the amount our lot eat and drink. Might have to exchange them!

Lizc
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Lizc » June 27th, 2018, 11:35 pm

I’m pleased that things seem back to normal Annie :grin:

sandimas
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by sandimas » June 29th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Annie41 wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 11:36 am
I wonder if last year was just too busy and everyone living and working on the island was a bit jaded?
I think so. Last year was the busiest I've seen it, we go the same week every year and this year was quieter (but not as quiet as 4-5 years ago). Perhaps people have started to return to other destinations?

davefking
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by davefking » August 27th, 2018, 9:51 am

We had a wonderful time with no issues this year. Stayed at Xuroy and Santandria hotels and local bars and restaurants in the areas.

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » August 28th, 2018, 7:36 am

We had our second trip in July and I can safely say that it was really friendly, much better than last year. I think that my confidence has been restored!