Everything is closing early this year

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Freshwaterlilly
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Everything is closing early this year

Post by Freshwaterlilly » October 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Hi all
We have a place in Addaia
Last year we were out from September till mid November and the supermarket
was open along with the other little shops there this year they have all closed already
supermarket closes mid October
It all seems to have been much quieter here even in the peak months
Do you think it’s still the knock on effect of Monache going bust?
I hear Ryan air are in a bit of bother to and was talk of tu also
Everything seems much more expensive too
the flight prices are extremely expensive in the school holidays
any input? Maybe Brexit and what’s going to happen....we are going home early as most people
here are doing
and the weather is not good either!

Matt241
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Re: Everything is closing early this year

Post by Matt241 » October 10th, 2018, 9:21 am

We are arriving next Wednesday for a week, looking at the weather its not looking too good. We hope things aren't closing early as this will cause us issues eating out.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 10th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Hi FWL

We've got a place in Son Bou and several business owners have told us that this year has been very quiet with regards to customers from the UK (according to them, most other European visitors, such as Germans, French and Italians don't spend any money, with most of them preferring to stay in all-inclusive hotels). In fact, we have it on authority that at least a couple of bars/restaurants have already decided not to re-open next year :shock: which will be a huge loss for the resort!

Apparently, following the success of the 2017 season, the Menorcan government massively inflated property rental costs this year, meaning that many businesses increased their prices this year, which in turn affected customer footfall.

I've also read recently that hotel occupancy in August was less than the figures from 2009, just one year after the 'crisis'. The scorchio :cool: UK summer meant that more people stayed at home and the negative press last year regarding tourists not being welcome in the Balearics (which I've seen evidence of, even this year, on some Menorcan FB pages) and the rubbish exchange rate, expensive car hire and dodgy weather over there (which they've had a fair bit of) all add up to a perfect storm of a bad year!

Unfortunately, I doubt whether many businesses will still be open for half-term at the end of October.

Sue :toasting:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 10th, 2018, 6:19 pm

We called into Son Bou in early September viewtopic.php?f=25&t=33209&start=10 and was surprised to see 99% of the restaurants only 5% full. We even had a walk all round in case there was something going on we didn't know about, the place was deserted.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » October 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

We were there last weekend and everything was still open in Cala'n Bosch. However the owner of Leli's restaurant told us that it had been a busy summer and had suddenly gone quiet at the end of last week. The weather didn't help, the pools were freezing and we really only had 1 day of sunshine.

I think residents of the Balearics are probably more concerned with the tragedy that has occurred in Mallorca - our disappointment as tourists is not really important in the scheme of things.

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » October 12th, 2018, 11:51 pm

I can assure you that neither TUI group or Ryanair have any issues with profitability, so anyone telling you they are in a spot of bother clearly can't read a balance sheet...
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...