First Time to Menorca - Recommendations Please

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Jano88

First Time to Menorca - Recommendations Please

Post by Jano88 » January 20th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Hi, we are thinking about visiting Menorca this year for a family holiday, children aged 16 & 11.

I'm looking for suggetions of best resorts to stay in (or avoid), preferably a villa.

Ideally we would like somewhere pretty with some good shops and selection of restaurants but nothing too lively.

Any suggestions please ?

SusieH

Re: First Time to Menorca - Recommendations Please

Post by SusieH » January 21st, 2015, 2:58 pm

Welcome to the site :finga: :finga:

Oh where do I start :lol: :lol: Well for start off there is nowhere to avoid. Every part of the island is worth a visit and so beautiful.

But for a family Son Bou is brilliant. Lovely villas on offer, one of the best beaches on the island and plenty of shops and restaurants. Calan Porter is a firm favourite, again good villas, plenty of shops and restaurants and of course the cave disco which can be visited during the day also just for the views.

Have a good read of the site, this question has been asked before so check the answers and obviously our members will be on to give their views too.

First timers eh ......... you won't be disappointed :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » January 21st, 2015, 4:08 pm

Hi There

My family have all loved Son Bou for years, but as for 'pretty' resorts, it all depends what you like!

The beach at Son Bou is beautiful, nearly 3km long, white sand backed by sand-dunes and crystal turquoise water. But if you prefer a picturesque cove-type beach backed by pine trees, Cala Galdana is pretty hard to beat! Then If you fancy somewhere with a marina, and a couple of good beaches, Calan Bosc could be suitable.

The only resort I don't consider to be particularly 'pretty' is Calan Forcat, a bit too rocky and concrete for my taste!

Most resorts are quite low-key, and have a good selection of bars/restaurants and shops. If you wanted to be close to one of the larger towns, such as Mahon or Ciutadella (to check out the shopping or evening atmosphere in the ports), Calan Bosch is closest to Ciutadella and probably Calan Porter for Mahon.

On the North of the island, Arenal D'en Castell has a lovely large, horse-shoe shaped, sandy cove and Son Parc beach is also pretty, and very shallow for safe swimming.

It's a difficult decision, but I'm sure you'll come up with the perfect solution!

Sue :cool:

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » January 24th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Cala Galdana is pretty with a selection of restaurants, and as a resort is not too busy, but has enough going on that the place feels it has some life to it (although I've only been in July and August, it may be dead quiet other times).

I'm not sure it has what I would deem good shops though, but then that is dependant on what is meant by that, you might need to expand a little so you can get the best advice.

It has what I think of as typical UK seaside shops from my youth, i.e. Buckets and Spades, flip flops, lilos, beach towels, postcards, tacky gifts, ice cream parlour etc but there is nothing in the league of westfields, regent street.

You might need to say exactly what you mean by good shops, it doesn't have Boutiques if that's what you mean, a trip to either the new if old capital might sort that.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » January 24th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Cala Galdana is nice. The shops are your average holiday gift shops, there are one or two clothes/shoes/bags/scarves type shops thrown in the mix ( but clothes mainly beach wear I think - ). For a more varied choice you would need to shop at somewhere like Ciutadella or Mahon.

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » January 24th, 2015, 11:03 pm

What time of year are you planning on visiting? If July/August then most of the bigger resorts would suit, particularly Cala En Bosch (lively marina for evenings), Arenal den Castell (great beach, restaurants, mostly hotel based entertainment) and Son Bou maybe (best beach but quite a spread out resort/villa area). Cala en Porter is popular and lively as is Cala Galdana.

The Los Delfines area of Cala En Forcat, Cala'n Blanes is the busiest but isn't indicitative of real Menorca - it's more touristy, the beaches are just little coves and it's more geared towards Brits, but does have the massive advantage of being a few mins away from Cuidadella, the old capital, with lots of bars, restaurants, architecture etc.

I don't do shops, apart from supermarkets, so can't comment on that aspect.

Horses for courses.