Rock pools, snorkelling and geckos?

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
RufusA

Rock pools, snorkelling and geckos?

Post by RufusA » January 19th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Having had a few washed out holidays in the UK, I'm looking at taking a family holiday abroad, and Menorca seems like a very good choice.

However my two daughters (5 and 8 years old) want to know:

1) Will there be rock pools with interesting things in to find.
2) Will we be able to swim with the fishes.
3) Will there be geckos on the walls like when Anna went on holiday?

Sadly the travel brochures and internet are a little silent on the subject so I thought I'd come to the experts.

On a more serious note with kids used to Cornish beaches, which beaches/area is most like to captivate them. They love clambering over rocks, and finding shells and things rather than just acres of white sand and a lifeless sea. However I'd also like a safe place for them to swim and try snorkelling (but not too out of their depth) with a chance of them actually being able to see something other than their dad's toes!

Thanks (in advance) Rufus.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rock pools, snorkelling and geckos?

Post by Slartibartfast » January 19th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the site.

I haven't the time tonight to give you a full answer, I will hopefully tomorrow. A quick answer to your three questions is YES :razz: We took our kids when they were young exploring the rocky coastline around Binibequer and Punta Prima exploring the rock pools, snorkelling with the fish and Geckos spotting.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

SusieH

Post by SusieH » January 19th, 2010, 8:02 pm

You couldn't have picked a better place :lol: :lol: :lol: I shall let our members tell you all about the swimming and the snorkelling - me - I prefer the pool :???: :???:

But Geckos - I luv em. In the daytime you get the lizzies :razz: you see them running about the rocks and walls and we used to love watching them. Then in the evenings the Geckos come out :razz: :razz: We used to sit for hours watching their antics on the villa walls whilst sipping our drinks. Your daughters won't be disappointed :razz: :razz:

Welcome to the site by the way :razz: :razz: :razz:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

jimh
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by jimh » January 19th, 2010, 8:22 pm

My children were about the same age as yours when I taught them to
snorkel, at a small fishing village called Cala Alcaufar on the south east end of
the island. It’s well worth to budget for a car during your holiday, this way you can
explore the many bays and inlets that I am sure other members will tell you about.

Jim
My grandchildren are great,
We should have had them first.