Which lane?

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Louize1970
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Which lane?

Post by Louize1970 » March 11th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Hi all, excuse if my question seems a bit daft but I haven't driven in Menorca for over 20 years but this May I will be picking up a car from the airport and driving to Calan Bosch and I'm a bit anxious about being in the right lanes at roundabouts, I'll be ok on the main roads, so my question is, if I am leaving the airport to take the me14 to then join the me1 do I drive in the outside lane if I am going straight over the roundabout or do I stick to the inside lane? I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after a day but didn't want to cause an accident within an hour of landing! Thanks 😊

SusieH

Re: Which lane?

Post by SusieH » March 11th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Sorry you've not had a reply yet :???: It's no good me telling ya cos I don't drive so gawd knows where you'd end up :grin:

Just hang fire and someone will let you know :grin:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Louize1970
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by Louize1970 » March 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Thanks Susie, I'm sure I will.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » March 11th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Roundabouts and menorca don’t really work especially when the locals use them. Locals seem to think it’s ok to stay in the outside lane (right lane) and turn left. I have in fact heard they are taught that way :shock:.

Best advice I can give for the airport roundabout, if you are going straight ahead, is stay in the right hand lane, but be very, very aware of who is around you as you exit the roundabout.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

bulwellian
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by bulwellian » March 12th, 2019, 2:50 am

AS shuggie said the menorcans [spanish] are taught to use the outside lane for turning left or right so it can be confusing however the majority of them just think it's the quickest way across so drive across both lanes just prctise defensive driving and you'll be okay

Louize1970
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by Louize1970 » March 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

Thank you, I appreciate your responses.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 12th, 2019, 1:41 pm

The outside lane on a road which will turn into the inside lane on a roundabout in Spain is for overtaking.

Understandable that the outside lane should be for overtaking on a road, but on a roundabout?!?! This is the way driving schools teach, I know as a friend who took his driving test there struggled to get his head round this on the test.

You best and safest way is to stick in the outside lane on the roundabouts unless there are feeder lanes for turning right/left.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Mirador
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Mirador » March 12th, 2019, 11:24 pm

I've observed roundabout behaviour for many years in Menorca and other Spanish islands.

They definitely stay in the right/outside lane for going straight on or if turning left.

Seems the inside/left lane is used if you are making a U-turn or going back in the direction you approached the roundabout.

Adopting this Spanish method can be dangerous if going left in the outside lane and someone not familiar with the system is going straight on in the left hand lane whilst you are turning left in the right hand lane.

I recommend you use your indicators to hopefully avoid any problems.

They tend to only indicate at roundabouts if going all the way round.

Good luck!
Neil

All people have the ability to light up a room, some when they enter and some when they leave.

Louize1970
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by Louize1970 » March 14th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Thanks all, think I'll stick with outside lane, indicators and possibly even passengers arm waving out the window or just stick to straight on and see where I end up! 😁😁