Shipping goods to Menorca

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Shipping goods to Menorca

Post by PeterV » May 6th, 2019, 11:20 am

Hi,

I have a few goods that I would like to ship to my villa in Menorca.

These are quite large and heavy items (outdoor pool table, trampoline, 8 seater garden table and chairs).

Is it a relatively easy process to have these items shipped direct from the retailer? Is it possible to confirm delivery to a particular week? Due to the size I will need them shipping to the house, rather than a collection point.

Being an island and although the goods are coming from within the EU, I suspect the timing will be quite unpredictable.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Shipping goods to Menorca

Post by Shuggie » May 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Have you tried using Amazon.es ? I've ordered stuff from there and it's all gone smoothly.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » May 8th, 2019, 7:34 pm

I’ve used Amazon.es for bathroom suite, outdoor furniture and a mattress, all delivered to m6 apartment without any issues and you get regular updates on the delivery process.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » May 9th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Thank you. I notice that amazon.es is only in Spanish, but that won’t take long to work out.

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » June 29th, 2019, 3:57 pm

I have ordered shipments to Menorca several times in the last 9 months, and all have failed!
Yes, i tracked them to the island, but thereafter they failed to turn up at my address, which is not in the wilderness, but on a well known street in a well know resort with house numbers etc.
Indeed, last winter I sat in for 3 days during the storms that left me with no electricity, no heat, no light, no water, knowing my shipment was somewhere on the island, but it didn't arrive. Evert time I have been told that they courier couldn't deliver because a) they couldn't find the address
or
b) they didn't have phone number to call to confirm delivery

One UK company sent me £2k worth of stuff and it wasn't delivered, so although they knew it was on the island, I just cancelled it, and back it went to UK
Next attempt, same company, same shipment, they used different courier...same result

The problem is simply that whatever courier is used from UK, it gets handed over to a local white van man...and this is the rub...
They ask for a landline telephone number, which I don't have, because they won't call a UK mobile! Madness! That second shipment was somewhere in Mahon, but they wouldn't divulge their address so i could fetch it myself...so back it all went, for the second time. It's not that expensive to call a uk mobile, and indeed I told the shipper to instruct them to collect a €10 surcharge for the phone call...I would have tipped the driver that amount happily.
Anyway, after the first failure, I spent several hundred pounds travelling out again for the second attempt, only to have that fail too.
My advice therefore is to make sure your shipper will guarantee delivery regardless of local custom, or use a shipping address of a friendly bar which has a landline and will help you in this way.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...