Selling a car

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Selling a car

Post by magpie69 » November 25th, 2019, 2:08 pm

We are going over to Menorca to complete the sale of our apartment next week. Touch wood, that seems to be going ahead smoothly, although we are still unclear about the best way to get the money back to the UK (another thread).
Our problem now concerns the car we have out there. Selling a car over there seems complicated, and we only have limited time to get it done. We go next Tuesday 3rd Dec and return on Saturday 7th. We complete the apartment sale on 5th, but the 6th is a National holiday so nowhere is open. Apparently you are recommended to ensure the car is registered in the new owner's name, otherwise if they don't bother, we could be liable to any speeding fines etc they incur. I'm not sure we will have time to do this). The car is an old (20 years with 56k on the clock) Twingo so isn't going to be worth a great deal, although it is an excellent runner.
Any suggestions on how to deal with our problem?

Bill

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Selling a car

Post by Slartibartfast » November 25th, 2019, 8:42 pm

You have left it very late, and you are correct in that unless its registered to the new owner you will be responsible for yearly tax and any fines, parking tickets it receives. It's also normal for the owner to complete and pay for all the necessary paperwork to transfer the car so you will need to be there in person to complete.

When we left out car was only worth a couple of 00€ so we scrapped it, it wasn't worth the hassle to try and sell.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » November 25th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Thanks Slartibartfast. Where did you go to scrap it? As I said, the car is only with a few hundred €, but we are prepared to scrap it as long as we can be sure that it is actually scrapped with the relevant documentation completed rather than slyly put back on the road.
It’s a shame because it is just the kind of runner a holiday-home owner would need.

Bill

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » November 25th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Try this place if you want to scrap the car.
A0095D3F-FB43-4DE7-8594-36264AD8900C.png
Cami Llarg, Trepucó, between Es Castell and Sant Lluis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » November 25th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Thanks guys. I just found an old thread from 2005 that suggests FRAMA on the Mahon poligono. Do you know if this is still an option?
I reckon that in the circumstances, for peace of mind, scrapping is probably our best option.

Thanks again.

Bill

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » November 25th, 2019, 11:28 pm

So which official scrapyard did you use, Slarti?

Bill

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » November 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm

We didn't take it to a scrap yard, we bought it from Roger who had Poppy cars so gave it back to him for him to sort it out :grin:
I only let him think he's in charge.

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » November 26th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Thanks for reply. Will go to FRAMA and enquire.

Bill

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » November 27th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Sunseaker wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm
We didn't take it to a scrap yard, we bought it from Roger who had Poppy cars so gave it back to him for him to sort it out :grin:
We were lucky in that Roger would take it to the scrap yard for us, so we could use it up until the day we left. He took it to a yard on the Mahon Poligono, I believe it was Frama which is just past Mercadona on the road to the ME1
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » November 27th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Thanks. We are hoping that FRAMA will take the car and complete the necessary paperwork there and then.
Fingers crossed!

Bill